What is an Internship?
An internship is a structured learning experience in a work setting. A majority of internships take place in the summer but many are available throughout the year. Internship programs can be found at private corporations, government offices and nonprofit organizations. Internships can be paid or unpaid positions.
What is Cooperative Education?
Cooperative Education positions are paid positions that require students to work either full-time and return to school the following semester, or part-time while attending classes. Some organizations provide summer Co-ops. Many organizations recruit sophomores or juniors for Co-ops. Students participating in these programs are sometimes offered full-time jobs before or immediately after graduation.
How do Students Benefit from Internships and Cooperative Education?
Internships and Cooperative Education are very important in a student’s career development. Through these assignments, students can:
- Determine if this is an appropriate career path.
- Find out how to prepare for a career in a specific field.
- Develop a network of professional contacts for future opportunities and references.
- Learn about the workplace skills they need to develop and build a strong resume.
- Find out what to expect when they transition into a full-time job.
What is Appropriate Compensation?
- Students and employers can benefit tremendously from well formulated, paid internship programs as they complete degree requirements and prepare for their career field.
- Compensation can vary depending on the nature and demand of the career field, academic requirements and the job-related tasks involved.
- In general, for-profit employers should offer paid internships. Consult the
How do you Set Up an Internship or Cooperative Education Program with the University of Arizona?
For more information, or to recruit students for Internship or Cooperative Education positions, contact Career Services at the University of Arizona at (520) 621-2037 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting a Position on Wildcat JobLink
To post a position on the UA Career Services Wildcat JobLink, please follow these steps:
- Go to our Web site at www.career.arizona.edu and select "Post Job" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on "Employer Login" under the "Employers" section.
- Enter your existing NACELink Network or Wildcat JobLink username (your e-mail address) and existing password to login. If you are new to the system, click on “Register For The First Time”.
- Follow the instructions to create an account. Verification can take up to 24 hours.
- Once you have completed all information requested, you will get to the “Employer Desktop” and you can choose any of the options listed.
Learning Agreement Guidelines
Download the Cooperative Education and Internship Guidelines PDF as well as the Learning Agreement Guidelines.
Back to Index