Networking allows you to develop connections and contacts, learn about your industry, discover opportunities, and is vital to the job search process
Watch this video to learn networking tips from employers, alumni, and current students.
1. An elevator pitch is a quick introductory statement you can use in a variety of settings.
2. Use the Prepare for the Fair Tip Sheet. It will help prepare you in any situation - whether a Career Fair or other networking event - where you will meet employers.
Download the documents below.
Creating Your Elevator Pitch
Prepare for the Fair Tip Sheet
In-Person Networking Events
- Career Days: Career Days, which occurs both the Fall and Spring semesters, is key for connecting and networking with local and national employers and exploring career related internships and job!
- Workshops, Mixers, & More: Attend other Student Engagement & Career Development events to meet employers & alumni.
Conducting an Informational Interview
If you get the opportunity to do an informational interview with someone in your field, make sure you have a list of questions prepared.
- How did you get your start in the field?
- What is your typical day like?
- What skills are important for your job?
- What professional development resources do you use?
- What advice do you have for a current student?
Make sure you follow up with a thank-you note or email!